Obesity is one of the most debilitating health conditions prevailing across the globe. And sometimes, it is so intense that anybody suffering from it has no option but to go for Bariatric surgery for drastic and rapid weight loss. But to many sufferers, it is just the beginning of another challenge. The sagging and surplus skin that remains after surgery can be particularly uncomfortable. This is where body contouring post bariatric surgery comes as a lifesaver.
Apart from the aesthetics factor, this surgery can help you improve overall health, enhance mobility, and helps in psychological adjustment.
Now the question is, are you the right candidate for body contouring, despite undergoing bariatric surgery? Several factors would determine that. For example:
- You would optimally achieve a BMI of 35.
- The weight loss has been stable after the surgery.
- You are a non-smoker.
- You are sticking to a healthy diet post-surgery.
- Your nutritional intake is sufficient to make up for the wounds after incision.
- The trunkal deformity and poor lower body fit are wreaking havoc on your overall well-being.
Signs and Symptoms
You might also wonder if you need body contouring post-bariatric surgery only for cosmetic purposes. The thing is that this Procedure can help in several soothing complications. Some of them include, but are not confined to:
- Swells and rashes in the groin area, which is very common after the surgery.
- Discomfort and sores.
- Trouble to walk.
- Difficulty in urination.
- Uncomfortable feel while doing sexual intercourse.
- Trouble to find well-fitting dresses.
How does the Procedure work?
Body contouring post-bariatric surgery Procedure is nothing complicated. The doctors would remove those excess tissues from your problem areas. The Procedure would also involve re-distribution of body fat, collagen implant, cellulite correction, and spider veins, as and when needed. There are some treatment options. After investigating your medical history, doctors can recommend the best line of treatment.
Who would need body contouring?
Just because you have undergone bariatric surgery, it does not mean that you will compulsorily need a body contouring post bariatric surgery treatment? Many people who have undergone rapid weight loss have had their skin shrinking away in no time. However, if your skin remains loose even many months after the surgery, you might need body contouring. However, the surgeons would also see if you have to comply with two other conditions:
- That you have maintained a steady weight for at least six months.
- It has been at least 18 months since you have undergone one of the surgery.
Consulting Surgeons for Your Treatment Options
There are several treatment options for anybody looking for body contouring post bariatric surgery in Dubai. Some of the most common surgeries include:
- Panniculectomy: this refers to the elimination of extra skin in your lower abdomen area.
- Abdominoplasty: it is otherwise called a tummy tuck
- Body lift and liposuction: it is a comprehensive term for lifting excess tissues from some body parts, ranging from the arms, a lower body such as back and buttocks, inner thighs, face, and the like.
- Mastopexy: in other words, it is a breast lift. After bariatric surgery, your breasts might have a deflated look. A breast lift can make them appear fuller.
There are different types of body contouring post bariatric surgery services available in Dubai. So depending on what your body exactly requires, the surgeons would make their recommendations.
Preparing Yourself for the Surgery
Your doctor would be the best person to recommend all the do’s and don’ts if you need to undergo body contouring post-bariatric surgery in Dubai. However, going under the scalpel for a second time can be stressful. Hence it always helps if you take some time to prepare yourself. While it is important to stay positive about the results, it is also imperative to arrange for the fund. What you need to remember is that it is essentially cosmetic surgery. So you may have to arrange for the majority of body contouring post-bariatric surgery costs in Dubai. Also:
- Stop smoking weeks before you need the surgery.
- Get a clearance certificate from your doctor beforehand.
- Keep the reports of all your blood tests ready. Your surgeon would recommend what you might need.
- If you are going for a breast lift, keep the reports of a recently done mammogram ready.
- If you are above 40 years of age, then go for an electrocardiogram before the surgery.
- Let your doctor know if you are currently on birth control pills or any other medicines.
What You Should Know About the Surgery
There are certain things that you need to know about body contouring. Here are the takeaways:
- Duration: It will depend on the line of treatment that your surgeons follow.
- Anesthesia: the doctors would apply general anesthesia and mild sedatives to keep you comfortable.
- Staying in the hospital: depending on your line of treatment, you may need to stay overnight or even longer before getting home. There will be dressings and bandages post-surgery. Also, expect to have a tiny tube under your skin. It would help to drain excess blood. The doctors might not release you until the wounds heal a bit.
- Recovery time: even at home, it might take from days to weeks to fully recover. While at home, you need to avoid any type of lifting, bending, or straining jobs. If you need to undergo thigh lifts or tummy tuck, then the plastic surgeon can forbid you to stand upright, as well. However, in most cases, doctors recommend a light walk every day. And when you sleep, ensure to keep a pillow to elevate your knees.
What to Expect after Body Contouring Post Bariatric Surgery
You can discover a visibly newer “you” within days of the surgery. However, there might be light scars on your body. Also, to make the results linger for a long time, you must maintain a steady weight.
Just like any surgery, even body contouring has its share of risks. Some of them include:
- Prolonged numbness at the site of surgery
- Skin loss
- Fluid accumulation
- Anesthetic risk
- Prolonged pain
- Skin discoloration
- Persistent swelling
However, when you are under expert supervision, you will get all the help to minimize or prevent inconveniences.
Cost of Body Contouring Post Bariatric Surgery
The body contouring post-bariatric costs are competitive. And the best thing about this place is that you can get access to some of the most accomplished cosmetic surgeries from all over the world. Still, the cost will vary based on the body contouring post-bariatric Surgery treatment you need. So ensure that you consult and compare the price before signing in.